About five years ago my husband and I decided to replace the windows in our house. Who knew that that home improvement project would result in five years of either showering in the dark or flashing our neighbours? Yep, we went five years without any window coverings in our master bathroom that has almost an entire wall of windows facing the street. Over the years there were brief discussions about what to do. My husband suggested Californian shutters, but to me although they are beautiful, they just exponentially increase the number of horizontal surfaces that I have to dust. Plus, we have a pretty view (if you don’t look to either side).
I know it’s not grand, but it’s green and that can be hard to come by in a suburban development. If you look to the sides though, you get this.
There is also a window in front of our toilet. I put my easle there to block that particular view from the neighbours. And yes, I actually do paint in my master bathroom on occasion, but that is not the point of this post.
I had to come up with a solution. I knew I wanted some privacy, but I also wanted to keep the light and most of the view. I found this picture on Houzz and used it as a guide even though it felt a little country to me. I thought that maybe a different type of fabric and smaller pockets for the rods would give me the look I wanted.
I decided to use tensions rods for my window treatments for a couple of reasons. They are cheap, easy to use, and not a big commitment. No holes need to be drilled, so if I messed up on getting my curtains perfectly square, no big, I could nudge the rod until things were fitting right. I had the tension rods before I bought my fabric, so I spent a few minutes deciding where in the window I wanted the top rod. That would tell me how long my curtains needed to be and I needed that along with the width to figure out how much fabric to buy.
The lady at Fabricland was super helpful. She advised me to make the curtains triple the width of the window because of the sheer fabric I was using. She also rechecked all my lengths and ensured that I had factored in the extra fabric needed for hems and pockets for the rods.
When I got my fabric home I cut it into seven equal lengths. I had four skinny windows that would take one panel each, and a wide one that would take three. I was more particular than I have ever been about measuring, pinning, and ironing the hems/pockets of these curtains. They had to be very close to square to fit into the widow properly.
And here is my finished project.
So finally after five years, I am not longer an unintentional exhibitionist. I think it’s time for a long, hot shower to celebrate.